German Placement, Credit, and Waiver Exams
The German Placement Exam
If you are starting German at GW and wish to enroll in a level higher than GER 1001, you need to take our placement exam. This includes heritage speakers - those who speak the language at home but have no formal training - and students who have taken the AP or SAT II exams. For complete information about the placement exam please click here.
NOTE: You must take the placement exam prior to your registration, and only register for the course into which you place. Students without proper placement will be removed from their classes. Please also note that the PLACEMENT exam is for placement only. It does not give you credit for courses or waive the Elliott School proficiency requirement.
College Credit Exams
There are a variety of exams available for high school students to gain college credit before they enroll. Currently, GW accepts the Advanced Placement (AP) exam and the International Baccalaureate (IB) exam.
Advanced Placement Exam:
The College Board offers an Advanced Placement exam in German Language. Credit for AP exams is subject to change. Please see the GW Admissions website for the latest information.
International Baccalaureate Exam:
The International Baccalaureate Organization offers German exams at two levels (A1 and B). Credit for IB exams is subject to change. Please see the GW Admissions website for the latest information.
At this time, GW does not accept credit for the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) or SAT II exams.
A waiver exam is offered to students in the Elliott School of International Affairs for students who wish to test out of their 3rd-year language proficiency requirement.
You must register in advance to take the waiver exam by e-mailing the Elliott School.
The waiver exam is used specifically for Elliott School undergraduates trying to waive their proficiency requirements. Please also note that this exam merely waives the requirement. Students will not receive credit hours for passing the waiver exam.
German Placement Exam
The German Placement Exam is available online. You may only take the exam once! Please follow the instructions below. If you have any questions, please contact the Coordinator of German Language, Prof. Margaret Gonglewski.
1. Go to BYU's German page for GW.
2. Enter the GW password: colonials1
3. You will be granted access to the site. Select "German" as the language and click "Begin."
4. The next screen is a student survey. Complete all the fields including your student ID and e-mail address. Once you have created a profile you will be given access to the exam.
5. As you take the exam, there may be infrequent cases when the screen will not immediately advance to the next question. If this occurs, simply resubmit your answer. This should resolve the problem.
6. After answering the last question, click "submit." This completes the exam. Please do not forget to PRINT your results!